We need everyone to contact Representative Fred Upton, Chair of the House Energy and Commerce Committee and urge him to bring a strong "Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act (HR2646)" to a vote now.
- Creates an Asst. Secretary for Mental Health to coordinate mental health policy and encourages the use of evidence-based practices that help the seriously ill, rather than politically correct and profitable practices that help all others.
- Encourages states to use Assisted Outpatient Treatment as a more humane and inexpensive alternative to inpatient commitment and incarceration.
- Helps end federal financial discrimination against psychiatric beds so the most seriously ill who need hospitalization aren’t sent to jail instead.
- Allows parents who provide care, housing, case management for mentally ill children out of love, to get the same information from doctors paid providers receive if it’s needed to protect health, safety, and welfare.
- Stops federally funded P&A lawyers from suing against care for our loved ones